Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Thursday, August 12, 2010

DIGGIN IN

I thought they were finished digging up our street directly in front of our house - but I was wrong. They have now torn up the street three times to lay different pipes. This photo above (found on the Internet) gives just half of the true picture.....imagine a hole like this all the way across the street with dust flying everywhere.

I've got so much grit in my teeth that I feel like I'm on the tail end of a cattle drive in West Texas.

I can't help but wonder what level of toxicity we are ingesting from this swirling dirt? Luckily it rained two nights ago and helped for a few hours pat the dust down. But the sun is shining today and the air is filled with it again.

They've dug so close to us that my squash garden in the front yard is now being impacted. Can we eat the squash that is ready for picking or has the road dust creeped into the fiber of the zucchini?

I'm almost getting used to the ever present beep-beep-beep sound of the big bulldozers and their diesal engines. The pounding of the rock blasters almost harmonizes with The Kinks when I am listening to a CD. The sound of tires on the rocky surface of the road though makes me shudder because I know that a few seconds later the dust cloud will drift toward the house and find its way through the one open window and into my mouth.

I spit at this never ending road work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about all that road work!

That "beep-beep-beep" sound can drive a person bonkers after awhile!

Love your site, love your passion and I love what you're trying to do.

Hang in there - talk to you later!
Margaret
Danbury, CT

8/12/10, 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Brother Jonah said...

Maybe if you did something that merely RHYMES WITH spit at them....

Nah. I can see where it would be cathartic though.

8/12/10, 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. My husband and I made some zucchini flower piti (fritters) last night. His Nonna from Italy told us how to do it. They are so good!!

Good luck with the road work today.

Best,
Margaret
Danbury, CT

8/13/10, 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce, I worked in construction for a few years. I am not positive but you might check out your dept of transportation rules for road work and I do believe they should be cleaning up as much as they can every day. In my area the crew has to be off the road at 3:30 p.m. and they need to clean their mess every day before leaving.

8/15/10, 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home